Mind on the Job episode 05: Organisational Culture & Climate!
When people work in social groupings, like organisations, they tend to develop a shared set of perceptions, attitudes, and values. These can be reinforced through systems, behaviours, and personnel selection until you have measurable phenomena that we call organisational culture (and it’s more easily measured attitudinal cousin, organisational climate).
But what exactly are they, and what is the difference between them? Why do we care about them at all? And if they matter, what can we do to improve them?
More resources on this topic:
- The Queensland Work Health & Safety unit’s description of safety climate, safety culture, and some related videos;
- The Australian government Comcare tipsheet on creating/maintaining a good safety culture at work;
- There are lots of great scholarly books and papers on organizational culture and climate;
- There are also books about organizational culture that may be more easy to access;
- Here is the link to one of Ian Glendon’s books on safety climate and culture, co-edited by Professor Sharon Clarke.
Mind on the Job
Created, presented & produced by Dr Ben Searle (@drbensearle)
Episode 03: Burnout & Wellbeing at Work: How Do We Manage Them?
Guests: Associate Professor Ian Glendon and Dr Louise Parkes
Music is Cypher by Kevin Macleod
If you enjoyed the episode, please leave us a rating & review on iTunes (or wherever you get your podcasts)!